Time for a major update - sorry for not updating this for ages but between work and being a bit unwell, it's been one of those things that have gone by the board - more posts to follow - little and often will be the policy from now on I think!
I've had a good time digging at Project Eliseg (for more info see: http://www.projecteliseg.org/). The dig at the 9th Century Eliseg's Pillar near Llangollen was great experience and the finding of the late Neolithic / early Bronze Age cist burial was a major find, showing the length of settlement in the area. Have a look at the videos on the website or on YouTube. Sadly it looks like that's the last year of excavations at Eliseg, for the time being at least. The cairn beneath the pillar will keep some of its secrets for a while yet. There were also medieval and probable Iron Age burials, but they had either been disturbed or were empty. Either way, it was nice having a bit of a dig and deal with the hard historical evidence in the ground before it is sanitised and "packaged" with conservation and interpretation.
My work at the Sir Henry Jones Museum is nearly done - just waiting for the replies from those people who have loaned items to the Museum and that'll be it. The Forward Plan and Conservation Care Policy and Plan are done, and the Museum will be all ready for their Accreditation return in a month.
I'm also looking to going on the CyMAL register of Museum Mentors, for which the preparation of the documents and all the help I've been giving to Llangollen and Llandudno Museums has been good practice. Other projects await....
I must thank Sarah Paul, Collections Adviser of CyMAL for her help and support. I've also been doing some work on Significance and sending this to Sarah for help with the new Significance Model that CyMAL will shortly be bringing out. If you ever have any questions on your collections ask Sarah - she's brilliant.
Llangollen Museum is an ongoing project, but most of the collection is now described and properly catalogued using PastPerfect IV. I'm training the staff next Wednesday, and then doing a talk on Roman pottery to the Llangollen Brownies in the evening.
It's all varied and all go, isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment